Sunday, June 21, 2009

Two weeks done, Two weeks to go

I have been with the program of visiting clinics and studying Spanish for two weeks now. I still have two weeks to go. Next week the other three participants and I will be working with the public health brigades who go into the community to eradicate stagnant water which are the sources for mosquito larval growth. After that, I will have one more week in a clinic. I think I am meeting my goals. I am doing fine on my Spanish vocabulary and still so very frustrated by the verb tenses. In class, when the teacher talks about two or three kinds at once, I can not keep them straight. But in real life, one does use more than one tense at a time, so I need to get with it. I am really pleased with the clinic time as well. I have seen other practitioners and how they operate. It is interesting to see the array of complaints that are different (more gastrointestinal, tropical disease, less upper respiratory and complaints of pain) and those that are the same (pregnancy, high blood pressure, diabetes.) Hopefully, by the end of the next two weeks, I will have crossed over some kind of barrier that seems to exist regarding me and the Spanish verb.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great blog, Loree. Thanks for the time and effort you put into it. I think I ought to be able to put this into my Favorites, but haven't figured out how to do it.
    Have you been thinking more about your visit bringing Emily to East Lansing? Have you got some possible days? Also I think you should tell your story right away. There are lots of Obama health care events going on here in Michigan (40 this week). Many of them seem to be designed to attract beyond the hard core political support. You would surely to qualified as a visiting expert--with a Mexican health care story. Mary Celia has connections into the health care professionals here. Please let us know what might be possible.
    Yesterday Obama gave a pitch I liked to hear. Families need better information so they don't unthinkingly approve "additional tests or additional drugs that evidence shows are not necessarily going to improve care. Maybe you're better off not having surgery, but taking the painkiller." When his grandmother fell and broke her hip "the question was, did she get hip replacement surgery, even though she was fragile enough they were not sure how long she would last."

    ReplyDelete