Monday, July 20, 2009

Agua Fresca

Agua Frescas are drinks made with fresh fruit and water. They aren't thick like smoothies but the main ingredient is fruit. The picture shows a guava agua fresca I enjoyed in a Oaxaca restaurant. It is easy to make: take the fruit, preferably without any seeds or coarse skins and place it in the blender with at least half water and puree. Then pour it into a pitcher and add more water, ice, lime juice or sugar as needed.
I made some yesterday for friends who came over. I used cucumber (peeled and seeded), lime juice, a small amount of sugar and a sprig of parsely in one. It was pale green and really quite refreshing. One friend suggested that it needed salt and pepper to suit American tastes. In Mexico, cucumber is often treated as a fruit. The other was of watermelon. That was easy, seed the watermelon, blend with water and add more water. It is red and tasty.
This is a form of refreshing drink that I can quickly make at home and not need to worry about disposing a juice bottle later. I am happy to have learned this.
I also enjoyed drinking jamaica tea (hibiscus), horchata, atole, and mexican hot chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment